March 29, 2011

It's My Birthday And I'll Write A Ghazal If I Want To

















My other half

My other half is a picture, her painted eye like a rose,
Her body held in a soft flame of stillness, freed in a pose.

My other half is a dancer, unfastened hair like a tide,
Her fingers fly out of time's rut: and pluck my heart as it blows.

My other half is a priestess who trails her heaven scent
To hell and back round a navel the musk-deer* endlessly roves.

My other half is a goddess, whose neck is softer than sky,
She turns to me like a planet, and everything else explodes.

O h(e)art, this quest is your own end, you're lost and that's why you win,
You’re stripped of even your held breath and kiss what God alone knows.


*The Kasturi-mriga, a deer of the Himalayas whose navel yields musk.



Notes. This is a ghazal, an Indian love-lyric: it ought to be in Urdu but this is the best I can do in English. The form is said to have inspired the Renaissance Italian sonnet from its base in the nightingale and garden culture of Persia at a time when the Arabs were teaching us - among other things - chivalry towards women. The quest of the hart/ heart through the forest as an allegory of a lover's pursuit of the beloved is about as courtly French romance as you get though and this one is included in my Arthurian play for teenagers. I saw a deer at close quarters in the fields outside our cottage today: it should not have been there but I'm awfully glad it was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your poem is wonderful and has the capacity to make the heart of a young girl race and at the same time bring tears to the eyes of one ravished by the tortures of eschewing the cloying desires of the gross world. A pursuit worthy of the grail itself and nobly discharged by one born on this day in which creativity was at such a premium – did you know you share your birthday with John Major?

Momentous times are ahead as you ease yourself into the cockpit of year 55 heading for the unknown planet of 56, the 8th turning point in the 7 year cycles that shape our destiny. I’ll let you know how it goes when I get there in 17 days time.

Happy bardsday